Thursday, November 4, 2010
New Harbor field camp
New Harbor is gorgeous! And now I've set foot on the continent of Antarctica (remember that McMurdo Station is actually on Ross Island just off the coast of the continent). The email here is super slow, so I'm not going to write much until we get back from the camp. I am supposed to be here through Monday.... we have views of Mt.Erebus from the camp, the sea ice is super knarly and it makes it fun to walk out to dive sites. SCINI has been doing most of the diving, tomorrow will be my first dive in New Harbor to look for some of Paul's old experiments. Today I mostly built roads through the ice for skidoos, marked possible sites for diving with flags, checked depths, drilled holes through the ice, fueled the various bits of equipment, and helped collect GIS data and photos from SCINI during a SCINI dive. Lots of work.....and lots of fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment