Yesterday Kevin and I decided to do a fun dive in the morning and a work dive in the afternoon. How lucky for us that this involved a two hour drive north towards Cape Evans. We passed the Erebus Tongue (a funky glacier) and stopped to checked out some ice caves. Then we puttered along in the Tucker (an awesome snocat) to Little Razorback Island. Be sure to turn up your volume with the video - I put in a bunch of video for you and in some the audio is more interesting than the video because you can hear the Weddell seals vocalizing!!

or here (these are Kevin's pictures, ice cave shots are at the bottom):
http://picasaweb.google.com/111221596171793333099/2010_10_AntarcticaKevin#
During this dive we heard tons of Weddell seals chattering back and forth - really neat sounds to hear while you are diving. We also headed up into a shallow spot (this was a first for us, we are usually down at 90 ft!!) and checked out brine tubes under the ice, ice cathedrals (Kevin swam in, I watched), and the best part - we saw a seal fight underwater! And I got it on video...so be sure to watch that one! There are a lot more videos from the dive here: http://picasaweb.google.com/111221596171793333099/AntarcticaUnderwater# Video seems to do much better with the low light than still photos. =)
Listen to this video! You can hear Weddell seals!
You can watch a seal fight here!
No comments:
Post a Comment