Monday, November 29, 2010

Antarctic hat!

I finished (almost) knitting my Antarctic hat! I wanted to make a funky hat with the shape of Antarctica on top of my head. And I finally managed to finish it, almost. I have some fleece I was thinking of sewing into it to make it warmer. In these photos it wasn't quite finished - I had some geographic problems to finish. I made two peninsulas (whops) and the Ross Sea is way too big. I have since fixed these and will have to post more photos of that once I'm done with the fleece lining. The hat is awesome, if I do say so myself!


Much news to report! We are all leaving the ice early. We finished our work and are getting booted because it is too expensive to keep us here to simply play. My plans to go home can't change in terms of dates because I am meeting Jay in Hawaii on the 17th (maybe the 15th). So I will just have to bum around New Zealand (oh damn) until my flight to Maui. I am really going to miss this place though. Antarctica is gorgeous and I have appreciated every view I get of the mountains and the ice. I love the skuas, I love the diving, and I love most of the people down here. What an experience! But, I can't wait to see Jay!

Here is a picture from the inside of Shackleton's hut. There are husky prints on the wooden beam here. Their dogs must have left their prints on the wood before it was used as a shelf. The photo below is a piece of wood with Shackleton's signature on it. Wow.


Skua barf. A whole fish!

The Barne Glacier in gorgeous light

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely hat!

And wow! That is a great picture of the skua barfing up a whole fish!

: )

Love,
Lee

Allison said...

Gorgeous hat, clever woman! You could set up a business of geographic hats.
Can't wait to have you within better hearing range and closer time zone!
And I know someone who is pretty excited about seeing YOU!
Lots of love,
Allison