Monday, October 25, 2010
Terra Nova Hut and Ice Wall Diving
I think I did one of the most incredible dives I've ever done in my life yesterday. We went to Cape Evans on our day "off" for a fun dive on a wall of ice (really a grounded glacier underwater). I am not sure how to explain how cool this dive was. Probably over 1000 ft. visibility, tons of light (the ice is only 4 ft. thick there and there is not a lot of snow) and a wall of ice 150-200 ft. high! We just swam along the wall, watched a big Weddell seal swim, and then came back along a rocky wall next to the ice wall....and looked at soft corals, anemones, carnivorous sponges, sea spiders, and fishes! It was unreal. I hope to paint it one day.... I didn't bring a camera so I could just take in the views. But Stacy had a small video camera, so I may be able to share some underwater photos of this place. Our diving safety officer calls is the best dive in the world. He may be right.
After the dive we all went to visit Scott's hut from the early 1900s called the Terra Nova hut. I dream of having time to research this history more and write a blog about it, but it is 8pm and we are still working so I have to make this a short blog. I haven't even uploaded my photos from this hut, but it was amazing. Everything is intact including seal blubber they used for burning to heat the hut, to penguins, to oatmeal and their reindeer sleeping bags. Amazing.
Here I am in the lab....they came for science and exploration and it was really neat to see the old science tools here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment