Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Meet Tink 2!

Tink 2 on the highway (yes, I took the shot while driving Maggie - bad Julie)


Wellll - with jobs all lined up and a more regular cash flow we were finally able to buy a new car! Remember that we have been using Maggie, my 1998 Mazda out here and Jay's truck was recalled back in November 08 when we came home. He bikes to work, so we have been getting by on one car. But with all these commutes happening for me right now and in the future, we needed to get a car that would not be old and rusty, even though we love Maggie the Mazda. So, we got a new car!! Meet Tink 2, named in honor of the lovely van we lived in while in New Zealand (remember Tinkerbell?). Don't worry, Maggie will remain in the family as the "local" car whenever it is needed, but Tink (2009 Toyota Matrix) will become our main car.

It ain't called the BIG leaf maple fer nothin'

Other news - I've been working in the field again for Lummi Nation - out in the intertidal. And now I'm working to help them ID all their inverts in the samples, that will really get busy after July 4th. June is the month of visitors and we have been busy having FUN when they come. Katie, an old friend of mine from Alaska, came to visit this weekend. We spent a great day out in the woods right in Anacortes. I love that we live in a town where we can hike for HOURS - and it is a bike ride or short drive to the trails (or, in our case, a short walk from the house). Awesome. We walked for around 5 hours with Katie, up Mt. Erie and around Whistle Lake. I am super excited about swimming in Whistle Lake; Jay is even going to come with me! On Sunday, I had to work so Jay and Katie headed out on an epic mountain biking trip, again right from our house! Good times.

Katie and Whistle Lake

Julie and Katie - old crab buddies

Tiger lily

2 comments:

meg said...

did jay have a toyota tacoma? dave's got recalled and we got a great deal on a new one last summer!
yay for new wheels!

Jay and Julie said...

He did have a tacoma. Lucky for us, we were broke from our big trip and NOT in need of a second car. So that money helped us survive. Now that I have millions of jobs, we can afford to get a new car to give Maggie a break.