We met them in Bellingham and headed out to the Boundary Bay Brewing Company, the best brewery north of Anacortes that we have found. Back home I treated them to my favorite Indonesian dessert - black sticky rice with mangoes. Yum.
On Saturday we walked to the Anacortes Farmers Market. I was hoping to get some local produce and perhaps even some eggs. So I was pretty surprised to see how high all the prices were. And most of the stands were selling stuff that really catered to tourists (??) coming through town on their way to the islands. Nevertheless, I plan on heading back to try again when the farms might be producing more and maybe the prices will be lower. But, I won't need to search for local produce much longer, our CSA (community supported agriculture) farm starts next week and goes through November! Yeah for local farms!
After our lovely walk in the sun (everyone fried a nice crisp red) we had a tasty lunch and headed out toward Mt.Erie. I think readers have probably seen photos of other visitors at the top of Mt. Erie. You can drive up - but we wanted to walk up this time and earn that view! It was a great walk with loads of wildflowers, good conversation, and nice cedar trees.
Finally, tradition holds, we headed over the Deception Pass with a bottle of wine. Ali and Bob brought some nice brie along too! We settled down on a nice log on the beach and munched on our brie and sipped a nice deep red zinfandel. Good stuff.
Oh - and Jay went to the Olympic Peninsula to help his boss with some of the undergraduates at his lab. They had unreal weather! These are a few of his shots below....
Top of Hurricane RidgeAnd finally - did we ever mention to anyone that Lester, our tuxedo cat, is nutzo? Darwin and Lester are the same age (we think) but Lester still acts like such a crazy kitten. We laugh and laugh at him, and managed to get these tid-bits on tape! Enjoy!! (if you only have time to watch one, the second one is a riot)
After Jay stopped recording, Lester actually DID manage to turn off the lights. We can't believe we missed getting that on film!!
1 comment:
Great cat videos :)
Bob and I were so delighted that we finally able to find a weekend that worked for us all. We had a wonderful visit, it had been way too long since we'd seen you. In seems like over the years, we've become very like minded :P I forgot the spent grain, and I'll have to get some sourdough starter to you. Next time. Our place is ready for you in August. Love and hugs,
Ali and Bob
Post a Comment