Sunday, October 16, 2016

Five days of paddling bliss in Raja Ampat

Remember that Jay and I went to Indonesia in December 2015? Well, we are so busy having fun that I'm still going through photos. I'm not done yet, but here is one more installment of Indonesian fun for yah!

We found an awesome sounding organization from a web search in the USA before flying to Raja Ampat called Kayak 4 Conservation. We were able to reserve two single kayaks for five days a long time before arriving at the homestay where the organization was based in Saporkreng. We actually flew to Indonesia with some camping equipment and food and we rented the rest from the organization when we arrived. Here is Jay packing up stuff in dry bags for our trip.

Saporkreng, Raja Ampat - where we started our trip in a downpour. In Washington or B.C. this would not be too fun....and I struggled to get into the mindset that it wasn't going to be dangerous or freezing cold. Here a little wind, waves, and rain didn't mean a quick death if you flipped your boat and couldn't get back in. Still, it was an adjustment for this Pacific Northwest girl to realize that rain in the tropics was fun and paddling in it was fine even if I was soaking wet!

It was a hard start for me but I eventually got used to the fact the rain wasn't cold and the water was warm! I also might have been hungry which always makes me grumpy.

It was a free and open world here and we could basically camp almost anywhere we wanted to. So we found this lovely beach and set up our rented torture chambers, I mean hammocks, for the night.

Because most of the islands don't have great places to put tents, the kayak outfitter rented out these crazy bug-proof hammocks. I called them torture chambers because they were hot, muggy, and not great for sleeping in if you are a sensitive sleeper like me. I'm glad we gave them a go though - now I know they are not for me! Jay, of course, slept soundly. Despite the torture, there is still nothing that can replace the awesome feeling of waking up at sunrise on a beach in the tropics with no one around but your love. I would not have traded this night or others for anything else.

 Amazing paddling right over reefs

 Lunch stop

The second night we crashed at a homestay but no one - not even a caretaker- was there. Fine by us! We had food, water, and snorkeling right at our doorstep.

Our room

 Evening paddle

North Kaboei

 Yefunmadiaba Guesthouse 

 The next morning we paddled right over all of this gorgeous coral

 Stop at Yenanas Guesthouse for some water before camping in the hammocks for another night

 Paddling Raja Ampat

We camped on a lovely beach loaded with shells for our third night. Because we refuse to collect and bring shells home, we make shell photo collections like this one instead. Wonderful diversity!

 The beach we camped on for our third night

 Paddling to Yenanas Guesthouse for our fourth night

 View of the reef under our boats

 Our homestay from the water 

 The reef directly off our homestay

 Terrible sunset

 Best sign ever? 

It was time to head back on day five and we left Yenanas Guesthouse early in the morning so we had time to get back to catch the ferry to Sorong from Waisai. But we managed to get one more snorkel in on our way back to Saporkreng.

After unloading our boats, retrieving the damp and moldy bags we left behind, and taking a taxi to the ferry terminal we settled in to wait, and wait, and wait for the ferry to Sorong. And once the ferry arrived, of course, they had the most inefficient way of loading the ferry so we all packed on top of each other like sardines in the hot tropical sun. All part of the experience and quite a hoot.

We spent Christmas Eve in Sorong mostly drying out tons of very soggy and moldy clothes in an air conditioned room. We flew to Sulawesi on Christmas Day from Sorong because fly is cheap.

We arrived in downtown Makassar on Christmas Day and checked into our hotel where we were treated like rock stars.

 Jay picking out his Christmas dinner

 Bliss is Indonesian food.

Peanut sauces and sambals. Nothing is better than this food in the entire world.

No comments: