| Looking east at the current lines and Johnstone Strait |
| Peace and stars |
| Lee Islands - Camp spot #1 |
We paddled up to Cordero Channel where we had glass calm and clear water and amazing views up Phillips Arm. What a magical day!
We made it to the Cordero Islands for our second night of awesome rock ledge camping. Check out Jay in his awesome new boat! This was a long day and I still never got my relaxing day of getting to camp early enough to drink a beer and read my book.....but we did have time to at least eat in daylight and watch the sunset!
Jay and our perfect island camp
Cordero Channel
I knit this hat four times, having to tear it out over and over again because I couldn't get the size right. I finally finished it on our drive to the kayak launch north of Campbell River, but I put the rockin' pom-pom on at this campsite and I was pretty stoked, as you can tell.
Yep. This is why I'm alive.
The next day we had some crazy currents as we paddled into Blind Channel and found this gem of a beach for our lunch spot. After lunch, we left this beach and paddled into some gnarly wind and waves, trying to get into a better position for crossing Johnstone Strait the next day. But it was getting dangerous, so we turned around and bee-lined it back to the same beach and made that our campground for the night.
Not a bad place to camp! And I finally had hours free in the afternoon to sip a glass of wine, have the strong wind whip around me, read my book, and praise the kayak goddesses for bringing me back to this beach alive!
We got up freakin' early the next morning to cross Johnstone Strait at slack and, thank goodness, we had no wind. What a crossing! And what a trip!! I cherish these long weekend paddles.
On our way back from Vancouver Island we scooped up Felix, the 2016 European Rolex Our World-Underwater Scholarship Society Scholar. He spent a week with my team helping us out with our sea cucumber surveys. Jay and I love hosting scholars and it always turns into a blast when they are here with us.
Jay and I had big plans to spend my birthday weekend backpacking along the Olympic Coast. Alas, that damn knee injury meant I could barely walk for a while, so backpacking was out. Sweet Jay went online and found a cute cabin to rent from Air BnB in Ocean Park, WA on the Long Beach Peninsula - an area we had never explored. We spent some time checking out Oysterville, a neat old town with a real New England vibe. And check out this pile of Pacific oyster shells! I was stoked! We use shells like this for our native oyster restoration project at Swinomish and sometimes it can be hard to get shell. Now I know where to go!
Oysterville on Willipa Bay
Cape Disappointment
Long Beach Peninsula boardwalk

No comments:
Post a Comment