Got that?
In case I haven't mentioned it before (I know I have) - the food in Indonesia is so damn good and Onong's Palace fed us very well.
| Cinnamon, Tomohon market |
Oh that is where all the bumphead parrotfish went! I was wondering where they were on the reef....
Julie drools over veggies, roots, and greens in Tomohon's market
This was our view on the drive to Mahawu, an inactive(?) volcano, right by the very active Lokon volcano that was closed to the public because it was acting up too much during the time of our visit. I think volcanoes are so neat!
Mahawu crater. We tried to walk around this crater and ended up in deep mud and thick brush that was at least 10 ft. high. We wimped out on the walk - we couldn't see anything through the brush anyway!
It seemed that every meal was my favorite meal of the trip. Here I was eating papaya flowers with ferns. Couldn't get much better than this!
We spent one more night in Manado before we left Sulawesi for Java and the big city of Jakarta. One item on our shopping list was to buy a bunch of Indonesian coffee. I love how such simple tasks can sometimes turn into super fun experiences. We wandered into a local grocery store and asked for bulk coffee beans, a request that turned out to be uncommon perhaps in this store because a crowd of about five Indonesians gathered around to help and watch us buy the beans. Or maybe the crowd had to do with the six-foot tall blonde dork trying to buy coffee in Indonesia? When I asked to chew on the different roasts that really got some giggles - I guess my way of sampling the flavor of the roast is not how Indonesians do it!
That evening we splurged and paid $30 for hour long massages in our hotel room by these awesome women who flew in, filled the room with the scent of jasmine, turned our muscles to mush, and left as quickly as they arrived. We didn't budge from our bed for an eternity. Fantastic.
WOW! This looks like a big change and it was! We flew into Jakarta on Thanksgiving Day and took a cab over to the house of Tim Brown and Lucy Mize, Jay's cousins who live abroad and work wonders wherever they live. They were hosting a huge gathering of expatriates for the big holiday and welcomed us into their house to join in on the fun. I never expected to celebrate Thanksgiving in Indonesia - but look at this fun! Staying with the Brown/Mize family was a real joy and we felt very lucky to be included in this celebration with all of their close friends in Jakarta.
Just to keep everyone on their toes, it decided to POUR immediately before the Thanksgiving guests were supposed to arrive at Brown/Mize household. Lucy and Tim's kids, Thaddeus and Belle, clearly knew what to do when the house started to flood. Towels appeared from all directions of the house while we raced around and tried to keep the water from gaining on the floor. Tim and Thaddeus worked some magic in their courtyard to divert the water flow away from the doors and as quickly as the flooding started it ended. But that didn't help with their street - which looks more like a river in the above photo. Everyone took the rain and flooding in stride and I loved their sense of humor about all of it despite the fact that several guests ended up arriving quite late as they sat in traffic trying to get to the house.
Jay and Tim after a big mango and mushroom shopping spree
During a day tour of Jakarta, Lucy took us to a fantastic "antique" market in Jakarta where we bargained hard for some wooden shadow puppets. This dude was stoked when we finally bought one from him.
| Lucy, Tim, Julie, Thaddeus, Belle, and Jay |
More photos here: https://plus.google.com/photos/111221596171793333099/albums/5815735330676677425?banner=pwa

No comments:
Post a Comment