The next day the weather didn't cooperate as well in Vancouver, so we went to the aquarium which was mostly covered or inside. I'm a bit of an aquarium snob, having visited many during my scholarship year back in 1999. But this aquarium was one I had never been to and it had fantastic exhibits - especially of the local marine life. I was impressed. Here is a close-up of one of the coolest nudibranchs in the world, Melibe sp. Don't know what a nudibranch is? Well...look it up! You should know...
Those are some suckers
Back in the good ol' USA, my parents joined my coworker, Sarah, and me for a quick walk on the Reservation beaches to check on the survival and growth of our native Olympia oyster babies.
Sarah and Julie pulling up bags of oyster shell with baby native oysters on the shell. They survived the winter (winter is over in WA by this point, flowers are blooming).
Could they be cuter?? Awhhh.... love...
Mom and Dad checking out the Kiket Island lagoon
Dad and Darwin
Experiencing the sand blast. Eke!
Normally we are super sad to see my parents go because we never know when our next visit will be - but this time the goodbye was slightly easier (still sucked) because we will be back east in April for a friends wedding, to see family, and to go to the annual Our World-Underwater Scholarship Society gathering. The scholarship is like a second family to me and I'm looking forward to seeing my old and dear friends from that fantastic year of mine back in 1999-2000. And there is an additional bonus - the guy that just got the scholarship for 2013-2014 found out about the scholarship through me and Jay! That is the second person we've told about the scholarship that has gotten it.... I'm pretty stoked.
Jan/Feb pictures, including the Barber family visit:
https://plus.google.com/photos/111221596171793333099/albums/5830188521595006481
Olympia oyster photos:
No comments:
Post a Comment