Sunday, June 10, 2012

Spring or summer in Washington

May was June and June is May. That is life in the Pacific Northwest. Although the sun was out this weekend, it was relatively freezing at a good ol' 50 degrees. Ever wonder what temperature it is here? 50. 50. 50. 50. 50. 50. Get it? That said, my California poppies are very happy and our backyard is a crazy burst of orange; I won't complain about that.  =)

This year we planted arugula, mustard greens, and kale. All things that are supposed to do well in the not-so-warm Pacific Northwest. The arugula and kale think life sucks, but not the mustard greens. Noooo. They are big and happy! In fact, they need to be eaten! Jay is currently off in Belize doing research at Carrie Bow Cay for the Smithsonian. This means I'm all on my own for consuming greens in the backyard!

 Lester and Darwin were interested in the birds, but not the mustard greens. 

I decided to make a recipe that I've been looking at for a long time!! Thai tempeh cakes...yummy. Served on top of mustard greens from our backyard! Here are the goods in the processor: ginger, shallots, spring onions, lemongrass, cilantro, garlic, and tons of chillies.

 Adding tempeh

Dipping sauce: Mirin (if you don't know what this is you must quickly find some and use it in your next Asian dish), white wine vinegar, cilantro, a tad bit of good sugar, and a ton of red chillies.

 Final paste for the cakes




Final dinner! Very romantic all by myself!

No comments: