Monday, May 28, 2012

Uncharismatic Megafauna

We did it!  I finally managed to pull together a team of eight goofballs/athletes together for the big Ski to Sea race that goes from Mt. Baker to Bellingham Bay! Team "Uncharismatic Megafauna" rocked the house on Sunday with the following legs: cross-country ski (Jay), downhill ski (Wynnie), run (Laura), road bike (Britton), canoe (Jonathan and Paul), mountain bike (Erik), and kayak (Julie). We tried to look as uncharismatic as possible, as seen in the above photo. Paul really got into it by growing his beard out, shaving it to a crazy mustache, and creating a real mullet with his own hair. Jay probably got the most comments on his outfit and wig though, the best being that a woman overheard that some spandexed cross-country skiers were annoyed they got passed by the dude in the ugly suit with a mullet. Ha! People take themselves far too seriously, and clearly we do not. 

The weekend began early! Erik and Britton came up Thursday night and we hit the Boundary Bay Brewing Company block party on Friday.  Racers got free pint glasses! There was cupcake tasting (doesn't go well with beer). And it was HOT!! 

Here is the evolution of Paul.... from normal to uncharismatic... to post-race with the headband sunburn. He does have to work on Tuesday. This is funny stuff.

Jay and Wynnie made it into The Bellingham Herald in their online photo archives. I borrowed the pic and posted it here for your entertainment. This is after they both completed their legs of the race.

Here is Erik, looking very uncharismatic, waiting to do the mountain bike leg. At this point, I need to give a shout out to our friend Mike Donnellan! Mike D. was supposed to do the mountain bike leg and Erik was originally the cross-country skier. Mike injured himself last week and had to back out of the race. We were totally bummed.... and we missed him dearly this weekend. There were many Mike D. toasts and perhaps a few photos from the Alaska days were looked at too (at least with Erik and Britton)!  Anyway, Jonathan's (paddler) girlfriend, Wynnie, stepped up to the last-minute plate...she took the downhill ski, we switched Jay to cross-country, and Erik took the mountain bike. Erik gets MVP!!  He placed 89th out of 500 bikers! Yahoo! We won't mention my place in the kayaker line-up. Let's just say I was in it for the fun and I wasn't too charismatic. Too bad it isn't a swim though eh? I might be charismatic at that!

Here I am, looking hot (I mean not hot), running to ring the bell and end our nine+ hour team race!

I scored on these outfits for us at our local thrift shop. Although I was not-so-charismatic, I think Jay got the award for least charismatic.

 Jonathan, Wynnie, and Paul hamming it up post-race.

Here are links to the professional photographer's photos of the real race....
Jay
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ010016&po=16&pc=233

Wynnie
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ0H0013&po=13&pc=210

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ0K0028&po=28&pc=280

Laura
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ030069&po=69&pc=255

Britton
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ0P0044&po=44&pc=197

Paul and Jonathan
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ040232&po=232&pc=350

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ040233&po=233&pc=350

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ040234&po=234&pc=350

Erik
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ090096&po=96&pc=205

Julie
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ0D0141&po=141&pc=248

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=07Q600FJ0F0170&po=170&pc=270

My photos are in the same place as usual...Julie's albums, May 2012.

No comments: