Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Alaskan log #1


There is so much to discuss about our trip to Alaska that I don't know where to begin! And we are so busy right now (I'm teaching another online class for some extra $ and fun) that I haven't had much time to deal with my photographs or even upload all of them. I'm finally in the middle of that process right now and will put up a link once they are all on Picasa. In the meantime, posts for the next few weeks are likely to be out of order because my sister is visiting tomorrow and she will take priority on blog posts!!

This trip came into existence for two reasons: (1) I missed my friends and I wanted Jay to get to know them and Gustavus better and (2) there is no place in the world as awesome as Gustavus and Glacier Bay. It was time to go back. So I rallied a few other friends from the old days and we met up in the airport in Juneau and flew over together.

We spent our first night in Alaska with friends Chris and Ebett - we even managed to sneak in a hike with them and my friend Tom (now in Juneau but I knew him from Gustavus). Then Tom, Jay, and I went on a crazy/insanely fast shopping spree for booze and food before meeting up with Jennifer, Jenni, Richard, and baby Finn at the airport. I think Jennifer, Jenni, and I were all teary-eyed when we approached the runway in Gustavus because it was so wonderful to see this place we all know and love so much. The photo below shows the approach to Gustavus - you can see the Gustavus Flats in the picture. I didn't know who we would see at the airport aside from our friend Lewis (and son Rowan) who was planning on picking us up. So it was a wonderful, wonderful treat to see Sean and Janet and their family arrive to greet us, along with Marylou, and Jim, Lisa, and baby Cooper (with wild strawberries as a welcoming snack).


Our first few days were spent mostly taking in the town and visiting with dear friends - many of whom now have kids that Jay and I had not met! Jay and I were staying in a sweet guest cabin on the property of a friend Jenni and I knew from the park service. Lewis and his son Rowan (Ellie was out of town) were awesome hosts and we had the best time visiting with them and staying in their spruce(?)-smelling cabin. Our first morning involved a mellow walk on a new Nature Conservancy trail that our friend Sean had helped build. It was great fun to hang with Sean and Janet's daughter Téa on this hike because she is spunky and full of hilarious chatter. The lupine was in full bloom, and the wild strawberries were just starting to get ripe. Yum.



Sean, new baby Skyler, Richard, and Jenni (Finn on her back)

After our morning walk and a tasty lunch with Lewis and Rowan, we headed to the park! It had been six years since I had been back. Jay visited me back in 2003 when I worked for the park, but he spent most of his time up bay with me on a long paddle around some of the glaciers in the park. So Jay didn't really get to know Gustavus or see other parts of the park. This week was exciting for me because I know that he has a better understanding of how special this place is now.

Anyway - Jenni and I were excited to see the old park service sign so we pretended to be tourists. Oh wait - we were tourists this time! Jenni and I lived together one year with two other wonderful women - Jessica and Marylou. Jessica couldn't make it to Gustavus this year, but we thought of her many, many times. Marylou still lives in Gustavus and works for the park! We caught her working and managed to arrive in time for her lunch break. Catch-up time was spent on a soggy bench overlooking a small lake and hermit thrushes provided our background music.

Old housemates! Julie, Jenni, and Marylou

July 4th is a real Gustavus experience and it was a great way for me to find old friends that I had not seen in a while. This is real, honest, fun stuff with burlap bag races, slow bike races, pie-eating contests, egg tosses, etc. In the photo below you can see Jay in the slow bike race. The goal is to come in last....he came in second to last! Not bad!

Janet, Téa, and Skyler strut their stuff in the parade!

Julie and Jennifer (with friends in the background too) watched the slow bike race. We didn't want to burn too many calories.

After all the July 4th fun, we headed to Marylou's yurt for a lovey, warm dinner.

Marylou blowing bubbles for Finn

I'll post more stories later! Stay tuned for stories of our three-day trip to the outer coast of the park - a wild and rare treat! And boy do we have wildlife sightings to talk about from our one-day trip up the bay. But before any of those get up on the blog I get to spend time with my sister! Yeah!! Sleepy now...

No comments: