Monday, May 30, 2011

Antarctic reunion!


I just got back from a long weekend in California where I was visiting my pals from Antarctica! Team Ice Aged planned a reunion only a few months after we left the ice; it was great to see everyone again! We met at the Kenneth S. Norris Rancho Marino Reserve right next to Cambria, CA on Thursday and stayed until Saturday. I flew down on Wednesday night and crashed with Kevin and his wife, Lisa, at their awesome house near Santa Cruz. After hitting up the huge Memorial Day weekend sale at the Patagonia outlet (hee hee) we all drove south to the reserve and soaked up the view! It is gorgeous there! And despite the chilly wind, I was thrilled to see some sun. We took advantage of our time together to chat about building databases for all the data (dating back to the 60s) and to go over some of the data I've collected for Paul from SCINI photos. But we mostly played - walking around the reserve, taking photographs, drinking wine/beer, and watching slide shows of old and new photos from the Antarctic.
The stars were pretty incredible at the reserve

Part of the team - Kevin and his wife Lisa (and Puka), Jennifer (and Denali), David, and Julie

Gorgeous - if you blow this up and look all the way to the right you can see the buildings we stayed at. Most of us camped though and used the buildings to eat and escape the chilly wind.

Kevin, Puka, Julie, and David

Paul, Stacy, Lisa, Kevin, David, and Gordy (Paul's dive buddy way back when and another great scientist)...Julie and Jennifer on the bottom

DJ and Tina didn't make it out to the reserve, but we got to see them in Santa Cruz!

When I arrived back in WA yesterday, Jay and I took advantage of the opportunity to visit SAM's (Seattle Art Museum) outdoor sculpture garden. Then we hit a brewery we had been hearing about for a while called Elysian. And it gets even better! Jay searched around and found a Nepali restaurant in Seattle called Annapurna - we went and drank hot chai and ate yummy Nepali food and remembered our great time in that place. Ahhhhh.


More photos are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/julie.barber1/AntarcticReunionCalifornia2011#
and here: https://picasaweb.google.com/julie.barber1/2011May#

No comments: