Friday, May 21, 2010

Stuff

So, even though I don't have time to teach a new class - I've decided I have some lectures that are ready to go and YOU are the lucky students. That's right, over the next few months I'll post a few of my lectures on topics that are incredibly important to the world and science. I'll post my climate change lectures to help you understand the basics of climate change science. Overfishing is my pet topic, so you will certainly get that lecture as well as the ocean acidification lecture. And finally, evolution is one of the most well-known scientific theories and, yet, one of the least understood. I hope to help you understand what a scientific theory is and how awesome evolution is. Nothing in biology makes sense without evolution. Oh yeah, and you can't talk about evolution without talking about natural selection. I'll tell you how that works too. Now, my lectures are all PDF's. You can read them right on your computer, please think about trees before printing them. I'll take requests too, I have lectures on water pollution, agriculture, genetically modified foods, etc.

I'll also recommend some good films and short videos to watch that are really informative.
So whatta ya think? Students pay money to take biology and environmental science classes. I believe strongly in educating more people about these important topics, so I'll post them for anyone!!

Here is where we will start. Not with a lecture, but with an excellent 20 minute video called "The Story of Stuff". Think about your habits when you watch this! Do you really need to buy whatever it is you are thinking about buying? Watch this.... and then you will be running to your thrift shop to find the best deals ever on stuff.

http://www.storyofstuff.com/


I'd suggest the original video, "The Story of Stuff" but the "Cap and Trade" and "Bottled Water" videos (10 minutes each) are awesome too.

Let the education begin!

2 comments:

meg said...

can't wait to read these! lots of topics sound good! i vote for g.m.o. food! thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I can easily post that lecture for you, it's a LONG one (because it covers all aspects of soil and agriculture) but it is neat.