Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Mashed potatoes on Mt.Baker
We were treated to a visit from our good friend Erik over the new year. Erik and I met up in Seattle (I had just flown in from NY) and braved the good public transportation system of Seattle to get up to Everett, where Jay picked us up. I really love taking buses! Despite jet-lag, all three of us headed out to our local brewpub (Rockfish Grill) to bring in the new year. Typical of old Anacortes, there were no young folks at the brewpub. It was us and lots of honky-tonk fun-loving 40-60 year olds. They were all having a grand time dancing to the Stevie Ray Vaughan cover band. After we had some beer, we joined in on the dancing for one song....but mostly we felt a little out of place as the youngest peeps at the bar. We are still hoping to recruit east coast friends to move out to Anacortes because it is a damn cool town simply in need of the 30-something!
We did not go skiing until Saturday...Erik and Jay went for a hike on New Years Day and I stayed home and tried to sleep off a cold I was fighting. I felt better by Saturday and hit the slopes with Jay and Erik. It was quite the day - it snowed hard all day, so we had reduced visibility and lots of wet clothes by the end of the day. The snow was super wet - no fluff for us! Jay summed up the conditions as a bunch of mashed potatoes topped with the occasional sour cream. Not the easiest conditions to ski in, but it didn't matter, we had FUN.

We dried out our clothes after skiing at the Boundary Bay Brewing Company in Bellingham. Too bad we have to drive by this brewpub whenever we head home from Baker.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment