Thursday, March 6, 2008

An evening hangi and morning trout

Greetings! This will have to be a super short blog because I only have 6 minutes left! Yikes! We are in Rotorua right now on the North Island. We had a few soggy days on the South Island and now we seem to be back in the sun. After the ferry landed us in Wellington we HAD to go up the cable car for my mom. This evening ended at the best place to eat EVER - called "Chow." I had Thai sticky coconut rice with mango chunks for dessert. Yum.
We went up to Taupo the next day and my family went trout fishing on the big lake. They caught 10 rainbow trout between the 3 of them (jay, diane, and tom). I was the photographer! These fish were more silver (like a steelhead I guess?) than the river trout....very pretty.
And now we are in Rotorua - a stinky place. Smells like sulphur because of all the geothermal activity. We are off to go geyser spotting this afternoon and then will spend the evening learning about Maori culture at a hangi (they feed us) and then we will get to watch a haka (a ceremonial chant) performance. We are excited!
Time to go - photos will be up sometime in this life. We are too busy to upload with parents here!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I'm jealous! I can't wait to hear stories of your travels in person. I love the blog. Julie, I sent you an email, too. Alaska is still wintery, though it has been threatening the spring break up the past few days (MUCH TOO EARLY). Richard and I are headed down to Nevada for Easter weekend. We're thinking about adopting one of the park's sled dogs... we have a trial run this weekend to see how Lizzie the cat and Minke the dog do together. I'll keep you posted.