Hello there! Here's the hat I just finished knitting, thank freakin' GOD because I've wanted it during many freezing nights here in Tinkerbell. My first try at cable knitting - Tilda and Allison - you were right, EASY! Now, I'm addicted and want to try and make matching mittens that I could use in Nepal. I've got to make up the pattern and I don't remember how to make thumbs, so that should be fun.
Anyway - I'm sure most of you are not super interested in my knitting tales, so I'll switch to other tidbits of info.
Our darling budget. A favorite topic these days, with many hours spent calculating money we will make, money we will spend, etc. etc. Both of us HATE this part of traveling, but it is necessary. We have to try and follow a budget, and it ain't big baby. So - in recognition of the fact that we can't totally afford to travel an entire year if we spend a ton of time in developed countries - we sadly (but strangely happily) called and changed our flight dates to, essentially, cut Australia out of the trip. The positive side of this is that we will now have 23 days in Indonesia. We had been stressed out that we were not going to have enough time there, and now we feel quite happy about the length of time we will have to explore Bali and surrounding areas. We still have 3 full days in Oz - enough to see Sydney and perhaps get Jay to the beach for a sharky surf or two. Yikes! Many of you know, I lived in Oz for a year...so I am sad that Jay will not get to see the country a bit more - but even he is happier about the prospects of more diving in Indo. This decision is likely to save us $1600 - which would keep us going for a month in SE Asia. Hopefully that makes sense to all of you too!
And finally - our first report on wine tastings here. We try to make sure to write notes down on our favorite wines, and we also ask if the wine can be purchased in the states. Wahoo - some of it can. Now, I heard through my sister that one of her friends is throwing a "snooty wine tasting party" because she liked the idea of the party that Jay and I used to throw (I am so proud). Here's what to get - if you like whites!! Our favorite winery so far has been Lawsons Dry Hills - excellent wine and people. I wrote in my journal "more laid back and relaxed here and I swear you can taste it in the wine." Anything was good except their 05 Riesling. I loved the Gewurztraminer, the Sauv Blanc, and the wonderful oak-filled Chardonnay. Their 05 Late Harvest Riesling was AMAZING for you dessert wine fans. Other big tasting wines - Saint Clair - amazing Sauv. Blancs and Chardonnays (if you like oak, the Omaka Reserve Chardonnay 07 was the best I think I've ever had). Finally, we also loved Mount Riley for the small family business and great Sauv. Blanc (07). ENJOY and tell us if you found these treats. They may not be chap, but they would be worth it.
We love this free tasting stuff. Who else is throwing a wine tasting party this year? =)
1 comment:
Thanks for writing this.
Post a Comment