Saturday, January 7, 2017

California and Washington in October

I know that many folks are waiting for the Cuba blogs to appear, but I'm the kind of person who likes to work in order whenever possible....soooo here is a blog about our October adventures. I'll get to December visits with family and Cuba soon, I promise. But isn't this a pretty picture too? I took this image of a seiner and the Olympic Mountains from Fort Ebey State Park on Whidbey Island when Jay's mom, Allison, was visiting us. What a view! What a day that was!

The beginning of October was spent in Vermont for a friend's wedding and the middle of the month was spent in Boonville, CA for Jay's cousin's wedding. David and Lisa found quite the amazing place, The Tollhouse, for their wonderful celebration! The Toll House provided lots of different places to sleep with real beds, but we were stoked to finally try glamping in one of their tents! And it really was glamorous camping - we didn't even have to pack sleeping bags as we had fluffy down comforters, a real bed, and heat in the tent! Crazy swank! Our glamping tents are in the photo above....our tent is on the right and Jay's cousin Amy and her husband Avner had the tent to the left. It was awesome to stand and watch the stars with them, even if we were freezing our bums off.

The path between the main house, the ceremony yurt, and our glamping tents was a wonderful area that attracted lots of California scrub jays.

The ceremony yurt. I love yurts! It was lovely to walk up the hill to Dave's friend playing the saxophone for the guests.

 Top couple! David and Lisa....

I can't claim that I took this photograph - one of David and Lisa's friends took it. But it captures the joy and love we all felt for David and Lisa this weekend!

I am one lucky girl to be a part of this family now......we were missing some key family members in person but not in heart. David and Lisa's friend took this photo too.

The next morning at breakfast the White family gave a shout out photo to my father celebrating his birthday in NY!

 Allison and Jim had never seen a redwood. We took care of that problem thanks to Boonville!

 The silent wonder of big trees....

We stopped for lunch at Navarro Vineyards

We spent the night near Point Reyes National Seashore but never had time to explore the region. Our flight was delayed the next day but we didn't know that until we were through security at the airport. Way to not tell us about the delay Alaska Airlines! We could have had the entire morning and early afternoon at the seashore had we known! Damn.

Allison came to visit us in Washington after the wedding. Some day we will get Jim to come with her so he realizes that the state doesn't bite! He might never leave if we ever got him here! Just look at this gorgeous day at Fort Ebey State Park on Whidbey Island....this park is a great reason to visit in and of itself.

Found two massive prince mushrooms in the park that I carried back to the car, babied on the drive home, and schemed dinner ideas over. Until I cut them up at home and yup, despite the firmness of the stem, they were loaded with dreaded maggots. Those dreams disappeared quickly. But I spread the gills all over our backyard in the hopes that some spores might like our Douglas fir?? Right? I hope!

Epic dinners are par for the course in our household when Allison visits! Here we have Douglas fir rubbed squab (for the carnivores) with a reduced wine and morel sauce. I had the same thing with a portobello mushroom. Darwin wanted some.

Lester was being far too cute one of the mornings Allison was visiting. One of our cat sitters referred to him as a "Velcro cat" and now you can see why.

On Allison's last day in WA we played tourist in Seattle - stopping at the Space Needle and eating at Renee Erikson's Bar Melusine.

The Space Needle makes everyone stop and get their photo taken before you can head up to the top, which we were not super excited about until we all decided to make fish faces. That was far more entertaining.

University of Washington under a rainbow

All October photos are here: https://goo.gl/photos/rAvBYvSVAZkLjTmNA

No comments: