Friday, August 19, 2016

Birds of Paradise in Papua

Back in Indonesia! This is a male red bird of paradise.

After a week of diving we were ready to head over to the larger island of Waigeo to start our kayaking trip. Lucky for us, our dive operation ran birding trips in the early morning from the same town, Saporkreng, that we needed to be in to grab our rental kayaks. So instead of getting dropped off in Saporkreng at a normal hour in the morning, we headed over around 3 am to go for a sweaty hike in the rainforest to see birds of paradise. And man, we were so lucky because we got to star gaze at the Southern Cross, hike under the incredibly dark sky, and see two different species of birds of paradise. I felt like I was part of a David Attenborough expedition (he usually is my inspiration for various trips we have taken) and I was in paradise.

There were several males and at least three female red birds of paradise. The males went crazy displaying and calling and trying to attract the females.

 One male and two disinterested females. 

  Walking along a dirt road to the next bird hide to see the Wilson's bird of paradise. 

This male Wilson's bird of paradise was really tough to get photos of so I spent most of my time watching him with my binoculars. He was spectacular! 

 Cleaning his performing stage - no leaves allowed on the stage!

 He is displaying his awesome throat collar thingy. 

Terrible video that I put together - I love the sounds far more than the images because we pack too light to bother with bringing a tripod and these birds were far away and/or overhead! I would still watch it for the sound alone....

 Jay in the bird hide near the Wilson's bird of paradise.

 Walking back through the rainforest to Saporkreng

The butterfly on my hand (blow up the photo) was really interested in my sweat, Jay's sweat, and our guide's sweat. We all just stood there in the opening and watched the insect fly to all of us.

Gorgeous butterfly loving Jay's sweat! 

I'm a leaf! No, I'm an awesome bug!

No comments: