I love writing the blog but sometimes life wins out over the blog! Here is all of October plus the remainder of September in one photo blog! I'll hopefully get a chance to cover November before we head off to Papua for our vacation in December.
Late September and early October was the time for catching up with dear friends from my Glacier Bay days. Jenni came to visit and brought along her two kiddos - Finn and Keegan. Look at us in the old days in Glacier Bay versus now! I'm fairly certain we have grown up a bit....but I'd still wear that outfit for Halloween any day.
Ahhhhh more entertainment from looking back on the old Glacier Bay days. Fifteen years ago to be exact! Whoa. Mike stalking brown bears, Paul working the limbo, and me doing who knows what in my drysuit after a dive. Mike is still an Alaskan and Paul and I probably both dream of being Alaskans. I keep inching closer and closer with each move. =)
We spent a long weekend in California at Yosemite National Park for Jay's cousin Phil's wonderful wedding. What a place for a wedding! I wish Jay and I had the extra time to go for a backpacking trip to get away from all the crowds, but we were very content to spend the weekend soaking up as much family time as possible. Look at this view combined with the family! I love these people....
Phil and Maia had a wonderful dinner for guests the night before the wedding that ended with hot chocolate spiked with chambord and stargazing behind the Wawona Hotel. Awesome evening!
The morning of the wedding all the cousins plus Allison went for a hike up to Vernal Falls. That was fun. I couldn't believe how many people were visiting the park and hiking. But better here than a mall right?
The beautiful and happy couple, Maia and Phil. We loved their vows.....given in the presence of mountains, trees, birds, family, and friends.... who needs a cathedral when you have natural landscapes?
The Ahwahnee Hotel in the background
Happy cousins
This was supposed to be an awesome shot of Lee, Jay, and Allison - but it is even more entertaining with the cousin David photobomb.
After the wedding we flew back to Washington with Allison! She spent the remainder of the week and following weekend with us. Orcas Island is a favorite place for all of us, so for our birthday gifts Allison rented a sweet little cabin for a night and took us out to dinner at an up-and-coming restaurant called Hogstone's Wood Oven. It was amazing food, but nothing could beat the company!
View from Orcas Island looking south to the Wasp Islands
Hike up Turtleback Mountain
My job continues to stink - I'm forced to spend days on the boat in the islands diving. The morning light on Mt. Baker was a particular treat right before this geoduck survey dive.
We hired a new diver at Swinomish and I wanted to take her on some more challenging dives to make sure she was a solid diver (she is great)....so we headed to Long Island where there is a crazy wall and strong currents. One treat with this dive is a wall of Corynactis californica or the strawberry anemone, seen here next to a Solaster.
Metridium on the wall
HUGE and seriously cute Cryotolithodies - umbrella crab
Juvenile Lopholithodes mandtii - Puget Sound king crab
We spent the second to last weekend in October on Orcas Island again - but this time we met up with our friends Andy and Jen who live in Victoria, B.C. Jen had always wanted to go to the Doe Bay Resort, so we reserved a yurt and spent the weekend shivering in it since the "heater" was not meant to heat as much as keep the yurt from being damp. Who knew? Anyway, that is our yurt....what a spot!
Andy found a single bolete on our hike in Moran State Park. We think it might have been a queen bolete. It ended up in our bellies.
We had wine, cheese, and crackers on the top of Mt. Constitution and watched the stormy light move in over Lummi Island and the almost snow-free Mt. Baker.
Doe Bay at night
Birder friends - is this a juvenile northern goshawk? He/she hung out in our backyard for a while trying to hunt squirrels. Totally awkward and funny. We think it is a goshawk because of the uneven tail stripes....but it could be a juvenile Cooper's hawk. Man. We are not awesome at juvenile hawk ID.
September photos are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/111221596171793333099/September2015?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIekwdnM6fzhIw&feat=directlink
October photos are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/111221596171793333099/October2015?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLbWz_XB9MXyAg&feat=directlink



No comments:
Post a Comment