Our first stop was at a shellfish farm on Samish Bay where we scooped up a bunch of mussels and clams for their dinner that night. What amazing weather we have had thanks to a crazy El NiƱo - I'm used to warm fleeces and jeans in June, but not this summer! My parents have typically had pretty bad luck with weather, so this year was a real treat because they got to see Skagit County in all its sunny glory!
After visiting the shellfish farm we swung by my office and checked out the nearby fish plant where I was hoping to buy Dungeness crab from fishermen I knew that were likely to be nearby. The plan worked perfectly and we left La Conner with three crabs for the carnivores....who subsequently had a massive shellfish dinner in our backyard.
The next day we headed into Anacortes for the annual Waterfront Festival where my father gaped at a big Corvette show, I gaped at all the nasty food for sale, we all laughed at the fast boat building competition (I was rooting for the brewery even though their boat wasn't looking too hot), and we gorged on ice cream. Following mental stimulus overload, we chilled out while taking in the great view of our awesome town from Cap Sante.
Next day - off we went to Tweets...the best breakfast place in Skagit County! Not only do they have great food, but they have my favorite magnets. I had to share these two. The owner is a riot here and they don't mess around when it comes to their eggs.
Awesome magnet #2. Nuff said.
On our way back to Anacortes from Tweets we stopped so I could show my parents the R/V T'ilus (pronounced "tea loose" which means "small unidentified clam" in Lushootseed...the local tribal language). I think I've already put up a few photos of my team's new research vessel, but I like this one! It was fun to give my parents a glimpse of some of the toys I get to play with for my job.
I was able to squeeze in a day off to play with my parents out in the islands. We took the ferry over to San Juan Island since it had been years since my parents had been to Friday Harbor. I had just finished lecturing my very excitable mother about how it was really rare to see orcas from the ferry when the captain came on the loudspeaker and announced that a pod of orcas were located just off the bow of the ferry. Way for wildlife to show me! We watched the pod from the open deck for a while and then moved inside when the ferry pulled away and started to move toward Friday Harbor again. Even from the inside of the ferry my mother stayed fixed on the prize with binoculars and watched the orcas until she couldn't see them anymore. Pretty cute.
Hanging out at Lime Kiln Point State Park on San Juan Island
I had to work the following day, but Jay had half the day off so he took my parents to Whidbey Island to gather some oysters for their dinner that night. This Dungeness crab took Jay to task for disturbing the intertidal peace (note the claws sticking up out of the water). I love crabs and their feisty attitude.
We had such a lovely visit with my parents.....it is always really hard to see them go. But it is easier when we know we will see them again soon! In just a few weeks we take off to NY to celebrate my mom's 70th birthday in the Adirondacks! We are heading the the Cape first with be with Jay's family and then we will be off to the solitude of loons, lakes, and mountains. I can't wait to be in a place that makes my spirit soar.
The weekend after my parents left Jay had to work on a manuscript as part of his PhD....so I headed down to Seattle to drink good beer (Fremont Brewing Company) with good friends. Life is good people. Appreciate every minute. I do!
More photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/111221596171793333099/June2015?authkey=Gv1sRgCIXA5KD58ZmkhAE




No comments:
Post a Comment