| Offerings at the Blessing of the Fleet |
The tribes in Washington have many more rights than tribes in other states because of treaties, like the Point Elliot Treaty, that were signed in the mid-1800s. In my very basic interpretation, the language in the treaties basically says that white folks are going to come and take all the land from the Indians and stick the Indians on reservations. But the treaties also say that the Indians can continue to harvest fish and wildlife with no limits, presumably because natural resources abound and could never be overharvested (note my sarcasm). The actual language in the Point Elliot Treaty says "the right of taking fish at usual and accustomed grounds and stations is further secured to said Indians in common with all citizens of the Territory". Well, when natural resources began to dwindle (what? humans can have an impact on natural resources!??), suddenly the white folks didn't want to share what remained with the Indians and the well-known WA "Fish Wars" began.
| Canoe Journey |
| Preparing salmon for a ceremony |
Fast forward to 1994 and Judge Rafeedie made a similar decision in regards to upholding Indian treaty fishing rights for shellfish (think crab, shrimp, clams, oysters, etc.). The positive impact of these incredible decisions cannot be overstated. The tribes hired scientists, technicians, and staff to help them manage their portion of the fisheries. How fisheries management works today is quite different from how it presumably worked when the tribes first sat down in meetings with the state in the late 1970s. Now, when a management decision needs to be made about a particular fishery, it isn't just one player making that decision. Instead, you may have several representatives from the state and ~5-6 tribal representatives. I'm one of those lucky individuals that works for a tribe as a shellfish biologist. The Swinomish (pronounced "Swin-NA-mish") Indian Tribe is a fantastic place to work. I love the fishermen I work with - they make me laugh and they make me work hard. I often talk to state biologists and we work well together, even collaborating on research. The Tribe also gives me latitude to take on projects that benefit the Tribe but are of interest to me and my co-workers (like our native oyster restoration project). The Swinomish people are incredibly forward-thinking when it comes to important topics like climate change and adaptation (far more so than our federal and state government) and they encourage research that may help them better protect their treaty fishing rights for decades to come. I like working for people who are liberal, driven, and strong in their culture.
So what do I do on a daily basis? First of all, even though I oversee the shellfish program, I do nothing on my own. I work with a great team of biologists at the Tribe and together we get a lot of work done - but that hard work is always combined with a lot of laughter and perhaps a tad bit of mud. I'll take you through a year of my life at Swinomish through photos. The only photo that is missing, however, is an important one. Julie at her desk. Yup. Marine biology is an awesome job, but it doesn't mean I'm outside playing all day. I spend at least half of my time in front of a computer analyzing data, generating maps and graphs, writing reports, writing grant proposals, managing staff, managing fishermen, managing, managing, managing. I love the data analysis and report writing because these are the end result of our hard work in the field. And that is the other half of my job....the field work.
My co-workers and I manage the geoduck fishery for the Tribe. This includes overseeing the safety of the commercial divers, drug testing the divers and tenders, and running the scientific aspects of the fishery. We monitor the fisheries when they occur, keep track of the quota, and laugh a lot at the goofy guys we work with.
| JP and Joe prepare Shaun's gear before he heads in the water |
We also go out once or twice a year in the spring with the crabbers (Matt and Shawn
here) to monitor the shell condition of the crabs. The fishery is
managed such that we try to avoid fishing on the crabs when they have
just molted - so we were out on this day squeezing crabs to figure out when to open the fishery. I promise it is more quantitative than a "squeeze".
We also conduct surveys of wild clam populations in the intertidal zone because many tribal members love to dig clams either for use as crab bait or for food. I developed a crush on clams when I worked in Glacier Bay, Alaska and I've been stuck in bivalve land ever since! Our research in Alaska involved suction sampling quadrats of clams underwater so we could measure clam abundance and biomass. Many of the same clam species exist in WA, like the lovely butter clam I'm holding in the photo below. While I still dive for research, it doesn't involve suction-sampling clams. Now I just dig clams intertidally!
| Tiffany, Courtney, and Sarah measuring Olys |
My co-worker Courtney (Tiffany is the one in this photo) designed and ran a juvenile clam recruitment study so that we could learn more about the future generations of clam populations on commercially-important beaches. Unfortunately, we can't seem to find the recruits. Where the heck are they? We will be fine-tuning our methods again this upcoming summer. This is what science is about.... learning from research that doesn't always work!
In WA, the larger low tides occur at night in the late fall and winter. That means we end up working at night too!
| Julie and Max pre-dive in the San Juan Islands |
If you have ever wondered what dreadlocks look like on a dive, Courtney is demonstrating!
The first geoduck Courtney ever dug up (for a geoduck biomass study). She managed to find a real beauty! The first time I ever dug up a geoduck I pulled out the world's ugliest clam ever. Brown shell, mottled siphon, warty. Ugly. And this is what Courtney gets on her first duck pull? Jealous!
We actually do even more than this! But I think this should give you a good idea of how much hard work we get accomplished for the Swinomish Tribe in the midst of having a great time. I am honored to work for them.
We actually do even more than this! But I think this should give you a good idea of how much hard work we get accomplished for the Swinomish Tribe in the midst of having a great time. I am honored to work for them.
A complete set of 2014 work photos can be found here: https://picasaweb.google.com/111221596171793333099/2014WorkPhotos?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ6t75Kj_MbDag
I hope you learned something new! Did anyone even read this??

4 comments:
I read it!
Awesome Julie!
Love that you love your job! And you passed along great information.
Yes, at last I read it and i will pass it on to other friends who ask what do you do. Great Insights.
:ove Mom
Post a Comment