Sunday, November 23, 2014

Alaria's maiden voyage!

My wonderful husband gave me a shocker of a Christmas gift last year - he planned on building me a wooden kayak! We finally launched her into the chilly waters off Deception Pass State Park yesterday!

It has been a long process for Jay, but according to the boat builder himself, it was a fun process! I didn't help him out much at all - only during various processes that involved two people. But I did draw the kelp on the bow, Alaria marginata, which I've named her after because I think Alaria is the most gorgeous kelp in the world. 

I've posted photos of the entire boat building process here....beginning in January 2014 on the cold floor of the garage. The process continued with a lot of help from Led Zeppelin (and beer) and finally ended this weekend on a brisk day in Cornet Bay when she was launched!

Putting the chines together
Jay bought the kayak kit from a small company based right here in Washington called Pygmy Boats. This is the Coho model, their best selling and highly regarded ocean touring kayak (i.e. we can take her out on multi-day paddles and in rougher water). http://www.pygmyboats.com/boats/coho-kayak-kit.html

The beginning of the shaping process
Stitching the chines together
The builder admiring his smooth work
Shaping the bow
He stitched together the different chines and then glued the seams
Taped together
Fiberglass
She is looking like a boat now!
The endless sanding that blanketed our entire garage in dust
Cockpit coaming and hatch work
Envisioning the bow art
Nervous and hopeful this idea would work!
I drew Alaria on tissue paper and the white paper became clear with the epoxy
Looking shiny and sleek!
Rigging
 
Standing her up along the back of the house to pour epoxy into the bow and stern.

 Popping the bubbly! 

 Best Christmas gift ever!

 The boat builder takes Alaria for a spin!

https://picasaweb.google.com/111221596171793333099/AlariaRises?authkey=Gv1sRgCJb13ba17tmTIQ

1 comment:

Mom B. said...

So Fantastic. Quite an accomplishment !