Friday, February 1, 2013

Mt. Hood, Oregon

Weeks before it actually happened we planned a ski trip to Oregon to meet up with our friends Jennifer, Erik, and Gwynne. The problem with planning ahead is that you never know what you are going to get for snow! Well, we got spring skiing conditions in the middle of January - slush and clear blue sky days. The views were well worth the slush and we had a blast at Mt. Hood Meadows on the first day and either downhill or cross-country skiing the second day depending on the person.

 Gwynne and Erik soak up the sun. Yee haw!

Jay, Jennifer, and Erik with the top of Mt. Hood in the background.  I knew that the ski resort was on the volcano but I didn't realize how close we would really be to the top! It was unreal to take a chairlift and feel like you were going to go straight to the top. Talk about gorgeous.

We ended both days by leaving the ski hills behind and heading to a different spot on the mountain - the Timberline Lodge (this is also where they filmed The Shining). It was much nicer to watch the sunset over Mt. Hood than to sit in traffic on the small road connecting the mountain to Portland. Not to mention that a beer is really nice to have after a fun day working the leg muscles.

If you look closely to the left of this image you can see the chairlift taking people to the highest point of a ski hill on Mt. Hood. We didn't ski here this time, but maybe we will in the summer as you can ski here year round!
 Lazy legs ping-pong at our cool rental cabin

 This big breakfast was really exciting for Jay, Erik, and Jennifer

Jay went back to Mt. Hood Meadows for the day to ski with his old friend Liam while I hit the cross country ski trails with Gwynne and Jennifer. It was quite the epic adventure - which was surprising considering that we were not really out there that long. We all managed to perform some nice wipe outs, lots of laughter, and incredible views.

Good friends!  Jennifer and Gwynne

On our way back to WA we stopped in Portland to see Liam and Marcela (we had not seen them since their wedding back east on the Cape) and meet their baby, Benjamin. They live in a really great neighborhood in Portland and we are really excited to have more east coasters moving west.  Too bad we didn't take any photos!

2 comments:

Tasha Hacker said...

Hey Julie!
Amazing pics! I just wanted to let you know I visited the stromatolites at Warderick Wells Cay in the Exumas and though i had little understanding of what I was looking at, I babbled to my husband about "the oldest building block organisms of the earth..."

"They look like rocks," he said.

"Yeah, but they're not," I said. "They're like these animal...plant...living things...thingies... Scientists find them fascinating."

And by scientists, of course, I mean you. You told me about them. Really cool that I could also find them and learn about their existence through you.

xx

Tasha

Jay and Julie said...

Whee! That is awesome that you found the stromatolites! Now you have just a few other places to go in the world on your sailboat and you can say you've seen them all - at least the ones that occur in saltwater. Western Australia (not a bad place to check them out) and Brazil. =)