Thursday, January 24, 2013

United Airlines gets it all wrong

I've heard you can ruffle feathers at various airlines if you post your bad experiences with them....so here goes. I'm trying for some reimbursement! Bad United. Bad bad United Airlines. #UnitedFail #United

I am writing because I am extremely unhappy with my experience with United Airlines. The story began on the evening of 12/26/2012 when my flight from Newark to Albany was cancelled. I took this in stride, cancellations do happen and I patiently waited in line at EWR for about an hour before I saw an agent. Despite the fact that I was nice to him, the agent I met with was rude and totally unhelpful. He booked me on a flight out the next morning and told me that I could not get my bag because the baggage department was closed.  I stopped by the baggage claim on my way out and discovered they were open. The woman working there was very nice and she had my bag for me in less than 10 minutes. I spent the night in a hotel and got up for my rescheduled flight the next morning. This flight was delayed (they claimed there was no plane), delayed, and then cancelled. I headed back to the service desk and waited in line again for a very long time.  I was losing precious time with my family, so I eventually left the line and took Amtrak to Hudson, NY where my family greeted me. The train was a good choice because United rescheduled me to fly Albany on the 29th....which was silly as it would have given me one day with my family before I had to leave.

Once I was at my family’s house I called United to tell them that I would not be on the rescheduled flight to Albany on the 29th, and I did not want to be cancelled off of my return flight from ALB to SEA on 12/31/2012. I was reassured by the agent that she would cancel me off the EWR-ALB leg as an “involuntary cancellation” and keep me on my return flights to SEA. Well, on the morning of my scheduled flight I went to check in only to discover that I had been cancelled off of all of my flights. I was furious, as this was exactly what I was trying to avoid. I called United immediately and spoke with agent who calmly dealt with my anger.  There were no seats left on the flights - figures! Through her boss, however, the agent was able to overbook the flight to get me a ticket, although I had no assigned seat when I left for the airport. The chances were nerve-wracking that I would get a seat which was infuriating because I had booked the flight months ago and needed to get back to SEA. I followed the instructions at ALB when I got my boarding pass to proceed to the gate to get my assigned seat. At the gate I was greeted by a very grumpy and unhelpful employee who told me I was supposed to get my seat assigned at the check-in counter (exactly the opposite of what the kiosk told me to do). This man actually looked me in the eye and told me “I hate my job”. Nice employees United has - he would be better off throwing bags than dealing with customers. I should note that I was being very nice to him as there was no point in being angry with him, he was angry enough with life. Lucky for me, a couple gave up their seats and I was able to get on the plane and make my connection to SEA (a seat was assigned to me in IAD).

I received a refund for the leg of the flight I did not take (EWR to ALB). I had requested reimbursement for my train ticket (a massive $47.50) but was turned down. Really? Honestly, I am disgusted with United, their employees for their undeserved rude treatment, and their inability to handle these problems. All I asked for was reimbursement of my train tickets and they can’t even do that despite rescheduling me on totally silly dates for my flight to ALB from EWR (i.e. arriving right before I had to leave) and then cancelling me off my return flights!  Clearly this company doesn’t care about customers. I am not impressed at all and I will happily avoid flying with United Airlines. Why fly United Airlines when Alaska Airlines is so much nicer to their customers?

So hint to all you travelers - United is not worth it.

No comments: