Monday, October 8, 2012

Watson Lake hike and Cypress Head paddle


As usual I'm a bit behind on the blog.  Maybe I've been too busy snoozing in the sun with my cats?  Don't they look comfy. It isn't easy to sit in front of a computer when you have such an awesome dry weather streak as we have had since July 5th! I think there has been one day of drizzle since July 5th. No joke. It is sweet.

For my birthday Jay picked out an easy backpacking trip to Watson Lakes in the North Cascades. We scored on the hike because the huckleberries were ripe!  If you blow the photo above up (just click on it) you can see all the berries in the bush on the bottom left. Yum!  We didn't move very fast as a result, but we were never hungry!

 This was the view we had from our tent. The clear blue water of Watson Lake - gorgeous! 

I was amazed at the variety of the huckleberries - high and low bush and then this teardrop-shaped berry that tasted like apples. All were huckleberries, I believe. We ate them all and are still standing!

Huckleberries don't come packed on top of each other, so this little container took the two of us about 25 minutes to fill. We are slower than normal though because we can't stop eating them while we try to fill the container. This particular container was carried back home with us and we had the berries on vanilla ice cream that night and made huckleberry muffins the next morning. Bliss!

 Happy campers! And so warm for mid-September! 

 We had quite the amazing view of Mt. Baker on our way down the trail.

This is a pretty neat photo that shows Mt. Baker on the left and Mt. Shuksan on the right. Whatta day!!!  You know what almost ruined it though? We came back from our awesome overnight hike and discovered that some schmuck had stolen my Obama/Biden magnet off our car. We felt violated. First of all, this was a theft - someone had to walk up to our car when we were not there and take the magnet off. I bought that damn magnet for $10 and it had only been on our car for two weeks. Second of all, I don't know of a single Democrat that would take a Romney sticker/magnet off of some Republican's car. I like to think that we Democrats, as a whole, would never stoop to such pitiful levels. And if Republicans don't like people to use their freedom of speech maybe they should stop trying to act like they care so much about freedom. Boy was I pissed. We headed straight to the Bird's View Brewing Company and talked of ways to get even. Silly, I know, but it made me feel better. I've calmed down a bit now and am slightly more rationale..... but still. Really? A magnet? At a trailhead? I just want some respect yo.

All the birthday fun continued into next weekend when I got to use my present from Jay for the first time.  He had gotten me a really nice paddle, something I've wanted for a long long time. The Werner Camano (named after a nice spot of land in Puget Sound) paddle makes you feel like you are paddling with a feather. Unreal! We launched our boats right from Shannon Point and paddled across Rosario Strait to Cypress Island where we were planning to spend the night.

We camped on Cypress Head; sadly the spot we had two years ago was taken by some guys with a cute puppy that had an annoying bell tied onto its neck. I was not in the mood to listen to the bell all day and night, so Jay found this spot overlooking Anacortes in the distance. It was quite beautiful!

 Gorgeous half moon!

Jay even built us a campfire! 

Stay tuned for more blogs!  I just got back from a long weekend visiting my parents on their vacation in Montana and Glacier National Park.  They are now in Yellowstone NP for the second week of their vacation and I'm back in WA. Maybe I'll be caught up when I post that!  Assuming that you are all members of my "circles" in Google+, you can see more photos under my (Julie) albums in Google+. Go to my profile, then to my photos, and then to the September album.   

I'm in the process of taking the links away to my Picasa albums on this blog mostly because I don't want to keep my photos open to the public anymore. But you can access the images any time through my Google profile and albums. Anyone in my "circles" (and I'm sure most of you are, but ask me to put you in if not) can see the albums.

No comments: