Jay
Pisaster
Doesn't it look like I'm walking on water? This beach goes underwater at high tide!
Last weekend our friend Ralph came up to visit from Seattle. The forecast was good and we decided to head over to Orcas Island to camp and hike up Mt. Constitution. We have driven to the top a lot, but I've always wanted to hike up it!!
Ralph, Jay, and I stocked up on calories from the awesome sticky buns at Cafe Olga before hitting the trail!I have to continue with the funny food photos - here is Ralph at the top of Mt. Constitution looking pretty stoked about the homemade pesto on penne.
Matching boyz. They were so cute planning their matching outfits in the morning. =)
We also found some false morels.....but the kind that would poison you. Oh well. No mushie dinner for us!
Since it is a requirement that this tree is hugged every time we go to Orcas, we had to take Ralph to this lovely elder of the woods. Ralph got especially up close and personal.
This may look like nothing, but I've stuck it in here for two reasons: (1) it is a giant mound of ants. whoa. and (2) look at the plant on the far right.....that is stinging nettle. You can eat it after you boil the leaves to kill the acid that burns your skin (feels like sting). Jay and Ralph let themselves get stung to make sure we identified the plant right. I was the smart one who watched them brush their hands up and didn't touch it myself.
We gathered nettle in the forests in Anacortes last night (wearing gloves) and boiled it. You can drink the water it was boiled in, the tea is tasty!
We made nettle pesto and taste-tested it on potato bread with sun-dried tomatoes. Oh my it was GOOD.
More photos can be found in the usual spot....Julie's picasa album.
My parents arrive tomorrow for a long visit! We can't waitttttt!
No comments:
Post a Comment