Monday, December 19, 2011

December days

I'll update you on December stories with photos. I've been working a lot with the geoduck fishermen again, and this time around I was able to bring home a siphon (the "neck" of the clam) for Jay to try because we were both curious about the geoduck hype. After all, the fishermen  make $25 per lb. off of geoducks. Remember these are huge clams, each weighing an average of 1 1/2 lbs.....so these clams are like gold. If a guy brings in a couple hundred pounds a day, well...do the math. It is an insane amount of money! But if the siphon is broken off the shells, they can't sell the clam. So, I get to go home with a siphon for Jay to try. Apparently Jay didn't think they were worth all the hype....I guess it was really rubbery. We found out later that he may have cooked the meat the wrong way. Oh well! 
Jay was able to head south to Belize again last week. He spent a week at Carrie Bow Cay (a Smithsonian field station) studying how marine reserves affect reef health. He is the coral dude who identifies and counts all the coral species (this is not a simple task).  When he came home he suffered from some serious jet lag (or was it the rum?). Lester decided he had jet lag too and they took a nap together. 
We didn't get a real tree this year, since we will be heading east tomorrow. So I made a "tree" of lights and we hung ornaments off of that. Not bad eh? Darwin liked it - see him at the bottom of the picture?
Lester and Darwin are the best gift ever. So is Jay.

Uh oh.

No comments: