Friday, August 20, 2010

Mt.Rainier National Park


We spent a three-day weekend in a beautiful place - Mt. Rainier National Park. Wow. It was a weekend of wildflowers, alpine vistas, and one big huge mountain dominating the scene. The weather was unreal, there wasn't a cloud in the sky! As a result, once we were up high we could see every volcano in WA except Mt. St. Helens (Mt. Baker, Glacier Peak, Mt. Rainier, Mt.Adams). The crappy part about the weekend - some schmuck stole my camera. These photos were all taken with our tiny point and shoot. But my good Fujifilm camera....gone. I left it out at our campsite, by mistake, and it was gone in the morning. Insert foul language here. That camera has been many places with me and I was quite attached. Plus, there were coins in there....those old Indian coins were given to us by a sweet Burmese man when we were in Myanmar. The schmuck (imagine worse language here) will never know how much those coins meant. I was planning on getting a new camera before heading to Antarctica and on upgrading to an SLR finally. But I was not ready to give that camera up, it was perfect for hiking with and, well, I just liked it. If you look at my photos, you can see how I felt about this loss in some photos.

But, with a gorgeous mountain and a rainbow of wildflowers all around, it was hard to stay sad. Mountains are also good for the soul.... and this was a lovely weekend despite the big downer.

The Cascades (not a bad place to live eh?)


I bet you might think this is Mt.Rainier - but it is not! This is another volcano in WA, Mt. Adams.

Clark's nutcracker

Avalanche lily


Magenta paintbrush matches Julie's shirt

Pink mountain heather and many other wildflowers in the background

No comments: