The people in Anacortes crack me up. This is where I get to puff my chest and say "I'm a proud east coaster" because these folks are wimps! When it comes to snow that is.... So, we got a few flurries yesterday. And today, probably about 1/4 inch of fluffy and gorgeous snow covered the roads and the ground. Hours later and it is already gone!
But this morning when I headed off to the post office and the pool it was really snowing. At the post office everyone was whining and complaining and fussing over the snow. Two middle-aged dudes in line were talking about "global warming" and how it clearly is a farce (obviously they missed the bit about how climate CHANGE can also mean more extreme weather, the snow in Anacortes actually serving as a perfect example). All the lovely old women at the pool were freaking out about driving (the roads were fine, covered with a dusting of snow, but not slippery) and blabbing about having to pull their long underwear out again. It is very obvious they come from an area that really doesn't get much snow ever. So I walked around listening to all these conversations with a funny smirk on my face. I know and love snow because I grew up with it. So I usually know when the roads are O.K. and when they are not great. But these folks don't really understand snow, the state doesn't even own plows in many of the coastal towns, coastal Washingtonians don't know how to drive in snow, and mostly they see the flakes as a big nuisance rather than a beautiful fluffy treat. I must say, I'm quite happy about the snow and sad to see that it is already gone.
2 comments:
Hi,
Yes, I read your blog! Yes, it's interesting to read about the birds too! Love looking at the pic's - what a magical place.
hmmm... When will I make it out to visit... will have to work on that one. :)
Julie - Keep blabbing about the birds, the walks, the snow, and everything that strikes you about Anacortes and life in Washington. I eat up every word!
Post a Comment