I must say that the dynamics in the women's locker room at this pool are super different from the dynamics in the locker rooms out east. Here, all the west coast women happily and proudly prance around naked, never mind that they are all in their golden years and a little saggy here and there with enormous breasts. Meanwhile I wander around in my bathing suit, feeling like a real reserved east coaster. I have met one other woman my age, she was naked too! Everyone's naked! And chatting like they have clothes on. Celebration right? I thought I was hip with it for an east coaster, but I can't quite bring myself to be as hip as these wonderful women of the west.
Anyway - I wanted to write about Obama's inauguration. I haven't gotten around to doing so yet because I was left completely speechless (in awe and joy) that day. But, the women's locker room has officially inspired me to write about that glorious day in history.
I'll paraphrase some of the stuff I overheard these naked women chatting about the day after the inauguration.
Naked woman singing in the open shower: "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, gooodbye... goodbye Bush! Ha ha haaaaa!!!"
One older (75?) woman to another: "I was just fixated to the TV and filled with feelings of pride, love, and respect" Response: "I was just happy to clap when George W. took off in his helicopter"
Yet another woman: "I love my country again"
Another: "Wasn't it wonderful to listen to someone who could speak well again? Isn't that how it should always be for someone in an office as high as the president?"
Another: "Didn't you love Michelle's dress at the ball?"
The most interesting part about all of this is a little fact about Anacortes. The two major employers in the area are a giant, ugly, fuming oil refinery and a Navy Base. Both the kind of the places where you would expect to find loads of conservatives. But I just don't see it - where are they? If there are conservatives around, they too must have recognized the need for change. In the pool locker room, surrounded by wise women, I see only hope, joy, and pride for a country that is back on the right track.
I'll leave you with a link to the "Goodnight Bush" parody - a slightly scary, truthful, and funny parody on the old children's book "Goodnight Moon". Enjoy. anddddd......Goodnight Bush!
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92325702
No comments:
Post a Comment