No yet, and no it won't be on some wild landscape on the other side of the world. But finally after over five years together we are engaged. Thanks everyone for all your great comments and congrats. I'll admit that the very subtle mention of Julie's wedding dress was a ploy, perhaps more a test, to see how wide the blog readership is. Surely even the most quiet blog readers could not resist inquiring about a wedding dress. But of course the cat got out of the bag very quickly through a variety of channels so our test was not foolproof. But we did succeed in getting your attention!
We'd been talking about getting married for a while, and I had been scheming a proposal ever since we were in New Zealand, but coming up with a good surprise was difficult given that we are together 24/7. So there we were in Nha Trang, Vietnam, about three weeks ago, next stop Hoi An where they are famous for tailors, and we had been talking about getting clothes made for our wedding. It had to be official if we were to get wedding duds made! So one night when we were walking back from dinner we came across a fireworks show along the beach, and crowds of Vietnamese were stopped on their motorbikes in the street cheering on the show. We sat down and watched and I almost surprised myself as much as Julie when I seized the moment and popped the age-old question. It was probably not the setting either of us would have imagined but it was great and we'll definitely remember it.
So Mike, no need to send Geraldo over for the scoop!
10 comments:
Well done, Jay -- and Julie! An engagement with fireworks! Thank you for this delightful description. We love you.
Thanks for the details and nice job! Love the spontaneity! Your pictures from the last blog are amazing!
Ok fine. Ill go over in person and get the scoop.. Ive alway wanted to go to SE asia..
Wow! Again, congratulations to you both! You are the first person that I know of to get engaged in Vietnam in the midst of a year of world-wide travel, so it's definitely a special story that will live on and on! Yay! Love, Allison (Julie's HS friend!!)
Wow, it looks like you're living the life, it sounds great. Congratulations on your engagement.
Dave Steen UNH '01
YAY! That is so exciting, congrats to you both!!!
Hey Jay and Julie,
Yipiyahee...congratulations you guys. Anna and I are really excited for both of you. After our Perama adventure in Indonesia we knew you guys were perfect for each other. I had read the Vietnam blog but did not pick up on the wedding dress hint. Us Belgians do not take hints well - just ask Anna. I think you should have the ceremony near some tropical island, underwater with beautiful coral as a backdrop and then afterwards take off on a whale shark (rather than a beetle with the custom 'Just Married' sign. Enjoy the rest of your trip. And by enjoy I mean ENJOY. Life on the other side is pretty boring and depressing. To be honest I'm already planning a trip to Patagonia for next winter!
Hi you sweethearts, We loved hearing how the proposal happened. We can't wait for the event and share our happiness with all.
Love Mom B
Hi guys, I have loved all your notes and pictures so far, keep them coming. Also Jay, I am honored to have you for our a son-in-law.
Congratulations to you both! We're so happy for you. I just returned from 2 weeks in Glacier Bay so I understand your deliberations on where you want to move once you return to the USA. I accepted a position with the BLM in N. CA, so we'll be moving there sometime this fall. Enjoy your travels!
Mike and Susanna
Post a Comment